Clients who are new to photography with me usually come from two background scenarios. They have either never had professional outdoor family photos before or have worked with a different photographer. Those who have never had any taken might be nervous about what to expect, how their kids might do and what the result will look like. If you’ve gone to a different photographer in the past, chances are some thing will be similar! There may also be lots of differences as every outdoor family photographer runs their sessions uniquely!
What to Expect From Your Outdoor Family Photos With Me
EVERYONE IS ‘HAVING FUN’ AND ‘LOOKING NATURAL’.
When you booked me to take your family’s photos, you probably browsed my family portfolio a bit! But this is one very important point to keep in mind: no two families are the same. Every gallery is going to look a little different than the family before it because every family brings a different vibe to their session. A vibe that is all their own! Some families are serious and low-key. Some are super high energy and want to run the whole time. If you have a two year old who never stops moving, I am here for it! Just don’t expect your gallery to look like your neighbor’s with the two year old who is shy and snuggly.
MY GOAL IS TO MAKE YOUR OUTDOOR FAMILY PHOTOS LOOK LIKE YOUR FAMILY.
Keeping that in mind, here are the consistencies that you will find throughout all my galleries:
- You’re going to have beautiful light, whether that is from golden sun or dramatic overcast skies.
- I am going to incorporate the beauty of the location we choose.
- I am going to attempt (kid-dependent) to get a few “Grandma must-have shots” of everyone looking.
- A decent portion of your gallery will not have everyone looking at the camera.
- You’ll get shots that have lots of combinations of everyone in your family.
- I am going to make you snuggle, be affectionate, and show real emotion!
THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO AS A PARENT IS ‘TRUST THE PROCESS’
The first thing I want you to do is let go of whatever vision in your head that you had from Pinterest! While I am happy to attempt a similar photo to something you love, it might not always work. What works well for one family doesn’t always for another. What I can promise is that if you let you, have fun, and enjoy YOUR unique family, you’re going to love your gallery. You’re going to love it because it’s going to reflect your family, exactly how it is.
This might mean that your super serious baby doesn’t smile for ANY of the images. If they are a serious kid, I want you to try to embrace that. When they are fifteen, you’re going to look back at these family photos together and tell them about the time they were 6 months old and wouldn’t smile for ANYTHING.
HOW TO TELL IF WE ARE NOT A GOOD FIT:
As a prospective client, it can be sometimes hard to tell if your family is a good fit for any family photographer you are inquiring with. I enjoy working with a huge range of family types and ages but here are some things that might mean we are not the best fit for outdoor family photos:
- You have a more formal style and are not expecting to run, jump, or sit on the ground with your kids.
- You would be upset if your kid got a little dirty during our session.
- Showing affection is something that is uncomfortable for you.
- You’ll feel very disappointed if your gallery doesn’t include an image like the one you’re picturing in your mind.